Local News

Poisonous Cassava Kills 6-Year-Old Boy, Sister In ICU, Nyamira

A family in Nyamira is mourning the death of their six-year-old son as other members are hospitalized after consuming suspected poisonous cassava.

Naomi Kerubo and her four children consumed the cassava that she got from a neighbour where she worked as a casual labourer on Sunday.

“I had gone to work at a nearby farm as a hired casual for that day. After that the neighbour asked me to get some cassava for lunch,” she said.

According to Naomi, at a round 6 pm, they all started experiencing abdominal pains,diarrhoea, vomiting and dizziness.

The now deceased child collapsed fist, prompting Naomi to call for help from neighbours who rushed them to the Ekerenyo sub-county hospital for treatment.

They received first aid at Ekerenyo an then transferred to Nyamira County Referral Hopsital for specialized treatment where the young boy succumbed.

One od the children is admitted at the Intensive Care Unit but Naomi and other two kids were treated and discharged from hospital on Monday, they are in stable condition.

Nyamira County Referral Hospital acting medical superintendent Angela Ogendi said that the child in ICU is also stabilizing and once she is okay, she will be discharged to the normal ward.

Arrangements for the burial of Naomi’s son are taking place, and neighbours have called upon the experts to help ascertain whether the cassava the family ate was fit for consumption.


By Matildah Obaigwa


Comment here

instagram default popup image round
Follow Me
502k 100k 3 month ago